The town of Gansbaai originates from 1881 when an adventuristJohannes Cornelis Wessels, walked here from Stanford and discovered the fishing possibilities and freshwater fountain near the old harbour. Other families followed suit and named the place Gansgat after a colony of Egyptian geese that congregated at the fountain. It was later altered to the more respectable Gansbaai.

   
   

 

Back Back to top